Click Here to Stay Informed about COVID-19

Community Survey on Public Safety

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Community Survey on Public Safety Results

How are we doing?

Public Safety is a shared responsibility and we cannot provide a safe community without your trust and participation. The results of this survey answer the question, “How are we doing?” while also giving us the community’s recommendations on areas to work on.  

Our desire was to create a survey that was approved by an Institutional Review Board (IRB) and overseen by an independent party, so that the results had as much credibility as possible. This survey was a systematic random sampling of 1052 Appleton residences, distributed city wide based on the density of the population. The higher the density of population, the more surveys that were sent to that neighborhood. I want to thank all the community members who took the time to complete the surveys and return them to us, we are listening. 

A summary report of the findings and a spreadsheet with the responses and graphs is on our website and can be viewed by following the attached link. 

Some of the key findings:

Regarding employees and the department 
• 85% of respondents were satisfied or very satisfied with the overall performance of the department.
• 84% said APD officers demonstrated honesty and integrity a lot or to a great extent. 
• 80% of respondents were satisfied or very satisfied with their last contact with APD

Community Safety
• 84% of the respondents were satisfied or very satisfied with APD’s efforts to provide safety in the community.
• The top three public safety issues city wide;
1. Drug Abuse
2. Traffic Issues/Reckless Driving/Inattentive Driving
3. Driving Under the Influence


While all the questions and responses are important, the one that may be the most important was the question; To what extent do you trust the Appleton Police Department? 

Without the communities trust we can’t properly perform our duties and make our community a safe and supportive place to live and raise our families. Recent national Gallup polls showed 57% of Americans had a great deal or quite a lot of confidence in the police. 

Our survey results indicated that 86.3% of those who responded trusted the APD a lot or to a great extent, and another 9.4% had some trust in the APD, for a total of 95.7%. 

These are significant and important numbers that the community and the employees of the Appleton Police Department should be very proud of.  

Action Steps

We will develop responses to the recommendations we received and we will look for additional ways to partner with the community to respond to their concerns. The top issues mentioned in the survey are public safety issues that have been a priority of ours and we will continue to look for creative ways to address them. 

If you have additional feedback or questions about the survey please email us at and we will respond. 

Chief Todd Thomas


Community Survey on Public Safety Results - APD (Requires MS Excel)

Community Survey on Public Safety Report (Adobe .pdf)

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer