Click here for Public Health recommendations to protect our community from COVID-19

Click here for Guidance on large gatherings in the City of Appleton related to COVID-19

Click here for the City of Appleton's comprehensive informational page on COVID-19

Click here for the City of Appleton's updated policy on long-term care facilities in response to COVID-19

Other Recyclables

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Due to Wisconsin State Law, electronics MUST be recycled and are not pickup up curbside.  Many electronics have harmful materials including lead, mercury, cadmium, chromium and other heavy metals that can leak into the environment where they can affect human and environmental health.

  • Items not collected include, computers, monitors, TV's, laptops, printers, copiers, fax machines, DVD and VCR players, keyboards, speakers, cell phones, etc.
  • For a complete listing visit:  The Wisconsin DNR website at

Household Hazardous Waste

Pesticides, herbicides, poisons, aerosols, acid, lead and oil based paint, automotive and rechargeable batteries, cleaning chemicals, etc. are just too hazardous for landfills that they require special disposal.  Outagamie County Recycling & Solid Waste offers a program to residents on select dates May through October.  For dates, times or to schedule an appointment, visit their website or call 920-832-5277.

Fluorescent Bulbs

All fluorescent bulbs, including compact fluorescent bulbs (CFL's) contain a small amount of mercury and need to be taken to the Outagamie County Recycling & Solid Waste Facility, fees may apply.

Medical Sharps

Did you know Wisconsin Law requires all citizens to safely manage needles, lancets and syringes?  In order to reduce public health risks, such as accidental needle sticks, both new and used sharps must be placed in an acceptable sharps container and taken to a registered collection facility such as Thedacare Regional Medical Center - Appleton or St. Elizabeth Hospital emergency rooms.  For a complete listing of area collectors visit Outagamie County Public Health at  or the Wisconsin DNR at

Prescription Drugs & Other Medicines

If you have unwanted prescription pills, you can empty them into a sandwich sized, resealable bag.  Keep all liquids, creams, powders, etc. in their original container and take them to the Appleton Police Department lobby at 222 South Walnut Street or visit for more information.

Waste Oil, Oil Filters and Absorbents

Motor oil, cooking oil, oil filters and the absorbents used to contain the oil must be recycled.  The Outagamie County Recycling & Solid Waste facility can assist you with the proper disposal of these items.