Brush and Open Burn Guidelines
Type of Permit
A permit is required for brush or open burning within the City of Appleton.
A single use daily burning permit ($25.00) can be obtained by calling 832-5810.
A site inspection must be completed prior to issuing a permit.
Burning will be conducted between 7:00 a.m. and sunset.
- Material to be burned shall not include rubbish, garbage, trash, any material made of or coated with plastic, rubber, leather or petroleum-based materials. Material may not contain flammable or combustible materials.
- The size of the pile to burn shall not exceed 4’ wide by 4’ long by 3’ high.
- Material to be burned shall be 50 feet away from any combustibles other than grass. If the materials are in an approved metal container, they may be burned 15 feet from combustibles.
- A fire extinguisher minimum size 2A10BC must be on site and accessible during burning.
- No burning will be allowed if wind conditions will cause smoke, embers or other burning materials to be carried toward any building or other combustible material. Burning is not permitted if wind speed exceeds 9 m.p.h.
- Burning is to be attended at all times by a responsible person at least 18 years of age.
- Upon completion of daily burning, fire is to be completely extinguished.