- Serving as a litigator, representing the City in civil and quasi-criminal proceedings; and
- Serving as legal advisor to the City, its agencies, officials and, in some instances, its employees.
- prosecuting ordinance violations
- drafting ordinances
- providing legal advice and issuing formal legal opinions to City departments and officers (including the Mayor and Alderpersons)
- appearing at meetings of the Common Council and other City boards, committees, and commissions
- drafting and review of contracts with the City
- representing the City in court and administrative litigation
- providing legal services to City-owned utilities; and
- providing In-house counsel for the Appleton Police Department.
The City Attorney’s Office has only one client - the legal entity of the City of Appleton. Lawyers in the office are prohibited from providing legal advice to the public or to parties other than the municipal corporation of the City of Appleton. The City Attorney’s Office cannot represent or advise private individuals in legal matters.
|Contact:||James P. Walsh - City Attorney
Click here to email
|Mailing Address:||100 North Appleton Street
Appleton, WI 54911-4799
This links to an Internet site not affiliated with the City of Appleton. By providing links to other sites, the City of Appleton does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites.
|Hours:||Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.